From Emory University Athletics
The No. 2-ranked Emory men's tennis team defended its title after beating the University of Chicago in the finals of the ITA National Indoor Championships in Cleveland, Ohio, on Sunday. The Eagles raised their spring record to 5-2 following a 5-1 triumph over the No. 5 Maroons who fell to 9-1. It is Emory's seventh ITA Indoor title in the 17-year history of the event
After trailing in doubles in its first two matches over the weekend, the Eagles took a commanding 3-0 lead in the match after sweeping that portion of the competition. The No. 3 team of junior David Omsky and sophomore Jonathan Jemison got things rolling with an 8-3 victory before sophomore Adrien Bouchet and freshman Max Renke posted an 8-5 verdict over Tyler Raclin and Max Hawkins at No. 2. Senior Rubinstein and sophomore James Spaulding closed out doubles at No. 1 with an intense 9-8 outcome, prevailing in the breaker, 8-5, over Ninan Kumar and Erik Kerrigan.
Bouchet put the Eagles ahead, 4-0, following his 6-2, 6-4, triumph over Charlie Pei at four singles, raising his spring record to 4-1. Senior Aman Manji recorded the clinching point at No. 1, bettering David Liu, 6-3, 6-1. The Maroons accounted for their lone point at No. 2.
Emory went into the ITA National Indoors as the No. 1 seed while Chicago was the No. 3 seed.
Emory University 5, University of Chicago 1
1. Aman Manji (EUM) def. Liu, David (UCM) 6-3, 6-1
2. Chua, Nicolas (UCM) def. Jonathan Jemison (EUM) 7-5, 6-2
3. Adrien Bouchet (EUM) def. Pei, Charlie (UCM) 6-2, 6-4
4. James Spaulding (EUM) vs. Tsai, Luke (UCM) 6-3, 2-6, 1-3, unfinished
5. Alec Josepher (EUM) vs. Kerrigan, Erik (UCM) 6-3, 3-2, unfinished
6. Josh Goodman (EUM) vs. Kumar, Ninan (UCM) unfinished
1. Scott Rubinstein/James Spaulding (EUM) def. Kumar, Ninan/Kerrigan, Erik (UCM) 9-8
2. Adrien Bouchet/Max Renke (EUM) def. Raclin, Tyler/Hawkins, Max (UCM) 8-5
3. David Omsky/Jonathan Jemison (EUM) def. Pei, Charlie/Bethke, Bobby (UCM) 8-3