From University of Chicago Athletics
The University of Chicago women's tennis team maintained its high level of play and ran away with a 5-1 victory against Gustavus Adolphus College in the NCAA Division III Championship Round of 16 on Sunday afternoon.
The No. 9-ranked Maroons (18-4 record) will make their seventh NCAA Quarterfinals appearance since 2009. The No. 38-ranked Gusties finished the year with a 21-8 mark.
Despite coming off a grueling 5-3 win over Kenyon College the previous day, Gustavus Adolphus kept pace in doubles and gave UChicago some trouble with aggressive tactics. The Maroons settled in as the matches progressed and took a 2-1 lead heading into singles play. Freshman Marjorie Antohi and sophomore Rachel Kim jumped out to a big lead at No. 1 doubles and rolled from there, 8-3. Senior Tiffany Chen and freshman Alyssa Rudin also came through at No. 2 doubles by an 8-5 margin.
Singles were owned by the Maroons. The hosts captured all six first sets and executed shots effectively across all courts. Antohi was the first one done at No. 2 with a swift 6-0, 6-2 win. Freshman Estefania Navarro nearly equaled her line score (6-1, 6-2) at No. 6 to put UChicago on the brink of victory. It was Kim who finished the day off with a clinching fifth team point at No. 3. The sophomore took her match 6-0, 6-3.
"We stated off a little slow but once doubles ended, we picked up momentum," said Assistant Coach Kris Powell. "Playing one point at a time from the start helped us stay focused in the present moment."
UChicago 5, Gustavus Adolphus 1
1. Ariana Iranpour (UC) vs. Michaela Schulz (GAC) 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
2. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Ally Baker (GAC) 6-0, 6-2
3. Rachel Kim (UC) def. Briana Hartmann (GAC) 6-0, 6-3
4. Tiffany Chen (UC) vs. Katie Aney (GAC) 6-3, 5-1, unfinished
5. Alyssa Rudin (UC) vs. Calleigh Carlson (GAC) 6-3, 3-2, unfinished
6. Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Lilly Hartman (GAC) 6-1, 6-2
1. Marjorie Antohi/Rachel Kim (UC) def. Michaela Schulz/Ally Baker (GAC) 8-3
2. Tiffany Chen/Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Briana Hartmann/Calleigh Carlson (GAC) 8-5
3. Katie Aney/Lilly Hartman (GAC) def. Ariana Iranpour/Laura Gutierrez (UC) 8-5